Utah Chiefs of Police Association
2015 SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
The Utah Chiefs of Police Association (the Association) is sponsoring a new scholarship opportunity for children of full time Utah police officers currently employed by:
1. A Utah municipal police department or municipal public safety organization, or
2. A Utah institution of Higher Education police department, or
3. A Utah school district police department, or
4. The Utah Transit Authority police department, or
5. The Airport police department.
Also, eligible are children of a retired police officer formerly employed by any of the above listed agencies.
This year, the Association will award two $1000.00 scholarships. Applications must be submitted to the Executive Director by June 1, 2016. Awards will be made in early July.
Applications and accompanying materials must be sent to:
Dr. Frank W. Budd, Executive Director, Utah Chiefs of Police Association
665 N. Meadow Creek Way
Morgan, Utah 84050
Requirements for Eligibility:
- Must have at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average, and maintain a 3.0 grade point average throughout the duration of the scholarship award.
- Must attend an accredited college or university, or a Utah POST certified satellite police academy for which college level credit is awarded.
- Parent must qualify as a full time Utah police officer currently employed by an Association member police department; or a retired police officer formerly employed by an Association member police department.
- Must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours per semester (must be a full time student).
- The applicant must submit parent’s name and employing agency or agency from which parent is retired.
- The applicant must submit a 250 word essay describing his/her goals, accomplishments, and explaining why he/she is the best candidate to receive this scholarship.
- The applicant must submit the most recent transcript of college work or high school work.
- Applicant may major in any subject.
- Must submit a photograph.
- Winners may re-apply for the scholarship each year.
- It is the intent of this scholarship award that one recipient will be a child of a Utah municipal police chief and one will be for a child of any municipal police officer. However, if no child of a police chief applies, or is selected, then both scholarships will be awarded to children of police officers. Winners may re-apply for the scholarship each year, but first time applicants will be given first priority.
Rules for the Awarding of a Scholarship
- Winners will be awarded $500.00 per semester.
- To receive the second payment, grades must be submitted to the Executive Director for verification
of grade point average.
- High school transcripts will be accepted for the first semester applicant.
- Winners may have their photo and essay published in the Utah Chiefs of Police Association Newsletter.
- Any applicant denied a scholarship shall have the right to appeal to the Association Board by
contacting the Executive Director. The decision of the Board shall be final.
This scholarship opportunity is not a loan. It is intended to assist students in furthering their education and preparing to make a positive contribution to their communities and society in general. The Utah Chiefs of Police Association believes in the youth of our state, and wishes to show its appreciation for hard work and effort.